Hi everyone!! I just put the last hanger on the pieces I have been working on for the last two weeks. The signs are done, the folk art is all done, and I spent the last two days working on rehabbing things I found at the flea markets. Remember these?…….
Loved the mirror, but Al couldn’t really see how it could be redone. I bought it anyway! Here it is in all it’s new prim glory…..I just LOVE it…and it is staying here. I sealed and painted the frame then sanded / distressed it with my palm sander. Then I stained it with my favorite walnut gel stain, let dry 3 days, and clearcoated it. Yep, sometimes there is a piece that I just can’t part with. There are a few special pieces that I sold that I wish I had kept (the piece in my profile pic for one! ) so I am keeping this and it is already hung up in the front hallway. We repainted our walls a soft tan and the mirror looks wonderful on it. The front hall is where I intended to work some magic, but my magic wand fizzled out and this magician ran out of time. I’m hoping I can finish some painting there next week.
Next is the washboard ..I painted the top section, then stained the entire piece-front and back, then clearcoated it. Usually I try to find the glass washbords but I haven’t found any for awhile. I also painted some pieces from my huge stash of goodies—a speckled pot, a small slaw cutter, and the cutest copper cow bell. Slaw cutters go very quickly at my shows so I am always searching for them. I have one large one left in my stash—for painting I look for the ones without a box…they are cheaper.
I thought I had saved the photo of the cement trowels when I got them at the flea market…but I guess not! I am always surprised how quickly these are picked up when I have them. At this particular flea market, I found three of them and I paint right over the cement after I wash them. I try to paint clusters of smaller pieces because it saves a lot of time for me—and time is at a premium once Easter is over. These will be wrapped and packed away as well as the other smalls ( spoons, spatulas, cow bell, pots etc. ) for my big show in August. Anyway, here are the trowels, an old enamel spoon, and three wooden spoons finished. I try to find old wood spoons, but they are harder to find now and I tend to keep the nicest ones for myself anyway!!
This next photo I showed you on a previous post—finished except for palm sanding and staining. I never get tired of the seeing the difference before and after staining—it’s such a dramatic change! So before………
and after…………………………………….! I am building up quite a stock of folk art, but I need to really go into high gear on signs. I ordered more stencils yesterday because we always need to have new things at our shows and I need at least 200 large signs to start my show in August—then I make more prior to each weekend. (3 weekend show) That doesn’t even include the midsize and small signs.
Have to include a pic of my best bud!! Stryker is very happy being back home with Brian in their apartment. An apartment neighbor gave Brian two kitty trees that her cat wouldn’t use, so Stryker has a new place to hide and sleep in. It is also a very good place to launch an attack on unsuspecting ankles!! Brian is doing well—he is off Dylantin entirely and has only had one minor episode of seizure feelings. He is still on a heavy dose of Kepra which is an anti-seizure drug….but he is able to work even though the Kepra makes him sleepy.
Well, that’s about it!! I hope anyone who is taking part in the Folk show does well—I’m hoping you will share how it was next week. Have a great weekend!!–Jan